Hat Sizing 101
1. WHAT IS THE AVERAGE HAT SIZE FOR WOMEN?
Women's hat sizes are fairly intuitive. The average women's head size measures around 57cm. If you are unsure of your hat size the Gigi Pip small/medium hat would be the best starting point. The small/medium hat size is made to fit 57cm + can be adjusted down to 55cm. If you know you have a slightly larger head go with the 59cm size. As far as Gigi Pip sizing goes this is a medium/large, made to fit a 59cm head size + then can be adjusted down to 57cm.
2. HOW DO I MEASURE MY HEAD SIZE?
There are two primary methods of measuring your hat size + are based on the style in which you wear your hat. You will need to take both measurements (shown below) + then use the larger of the two measurements to determine your hat size. Once you've received your hat, you can decide how you would like to wear it + adjust your hat size accordingly.
TIP: If you don't have a textile measuring tape, use a string or piece of yarn to measure the distance around your head. After you have marked the yarn around your head, lay it out flat on the ground or table + measure the straightened out piece of yarn with a measuring stick or regular measuring tape.
- Use a textile measuring tape (or string) to measure the distance around your head crossing through the center part of the back of your head + the forehead just above the eyebrow. The tape should be level with the ground.
- Check the measurement of the tape wrapped around your head. Hat sizing is in cm. If you are in-between sizes, we suggest sizing up + adjusting your hat accordingly.
Method 2: The Halo Style
Pictured above is the halo method of wearing a hat. The front of your hat is raised up and the hat sits on the back of your head. To measure your head size using the halo method, measure the distance around your head passing through the back of your head, just above your neck, + the front of your head up on your brow as shown below.
- Use a textile measuring tape to measure the distance around your head passing through the back of your head, just above the neck, + the front of your head high on the brow. The tape should be higher in front than in back.
- Check the measurement of the tape wrapped around your head. Wearing a hat Halo style is usually a smaller hat size than wearing a hat traditionally. Since there is typically a difference in measurement we recommend using the larger of the two hat sizes. If you are in-between sizes, we suggest sizing up and adjusting down.